Friday, May 20, 2011

1 Corinthians 13 1-3: The Impact of God's Love

When speaking of love in the Bible, the first passage that comes up, naturally, is 1 Corinthians Chapter 13.  One of the great things about this particular chapter is that it spans all the way from Genesis to Revelation.  It can be used to reflect God's love throughout the Old and New Testaments.
1 Corinthians 13: 1-3
 1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

This passage illustrates what our life would be like if we didn’t have love.  Love has a greater impact than even faith.  We could have everything in the world, or give up everything in the world. Without love, our lives are empty, unfulfilling and meaningless.  Everything we do must be as a result of “true love to God and man.” * 

The truth about that is this – we cannot do it alone.  As an American, I have been bred, trained and brainwashed to believe that I am independent; that I can do anything I put my mind to, all on my own.  I don’t need anyone’s help, advice, counsel, and I certainly don’t need anyone to give me anything that I can’t get myself.  But…

IT’S ALL A LIE!

We can’t do it alone! We never have and we never will! We are genetically engineered by the God of the Universe to be dependent.  Even Adam, God’s first human being, needed someone to help him.  That’s why God created Eve.  And both had to rely on God’s love and provision to survive, even AFTER they had been cast out of the Garden of Eden.  God didn’t just smite them down with bolts of lightning. No! He let them live because He is a merciful God and because He cares and loves us far more than we could ever fathom.  And if we do not RECEIVE that love, then we cannot GIVE that love.  And we NEED that love, friends. We need it more than I think any of us realize.



* Quoted from Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary 
    http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.php?b=46&c=13&com=mhc

 

No comments:

Post a Comment